House viewing tips
- Drive by. First impressions shouldn’t be underestimated.
- Be prepared. Make a list of all the things that are important to you and any questions you want to ask before the house viewing.
- Take a friend. Never go to a viewing alone.
- Check the outside of the property.
- Be thorough.
What should I look for when viewing a house?
10 Things to Look for When Buying a House
- Recognize a roof in need of repair.
- Don’t judge a room by its paint job.
- Take its temperature.
- When buying a house, decide on your dealbreakers first.
- Plumbing: what lies beneath.
- Check out the land beforehand.
- Smell the roses (and more)
- Invest in a well-insulated house.
How many times should you look at a house before buying?
Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer although it’s almost always a good idea to view a property more than once before making an offer. Typically, people will view houses between 2-4 times before making an offer, but you should view a property as many times as you need to to be sure it’s the right one for you.
What should a first time home buyer look for?
Viewing tips for first time buyers
- Priorities. Before you start, think very hard about your priorities.
- Budget. Once you have worked out what you can afford, stick to it!
- Research the area.
- Take a friend.
- Take a tape measure.
- Make allowances for the condition.
- Go more than once.
How long should a house viewing last?
Typically, a first viewing may only last 20-30 minutes whereas later viewings may need you to spend 60 minutes or more at the property.
What questions should you ask when viewing a house?
Top 10 questions to ask when viewing a house
- How long has the property been on the market?
- Has there been much interest in the property?
- What’s the area like?
- How long have the owners lived there?
- Has there been any major renovations done recently?
- Is the property listed or in a conservation area?
- What’s the water pressure like?
- How much will your bills be?