How Can You Tell If You Have Mold In The House?

View all

How do you detect mold in a house?

A mildewed surface is often difficult to distinguish from a dirty one. To test for mold and mildew and how to tell if your house has mold, simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.

Can you get sick from mold in your house?

In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Whether or not you’re allergic to molds, mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs.

How do you know if mold is making you sick?

If your Total Body Burden is high, or you are genetically predisposed to recycling toxins, regular exposure to mold can cause allergy symptoms, such as:

  • Wheezing/shortness of breath.
  • Rash.
  • Watery eyes.
  • Runny nose.
  • Itchy eyes.
  • Coughing.
  • Redness of the eyes.
  • Long standing or frequent sinusitis.

What do you do if you have mold in your house?

To clean or remove mold: Wipe hard surfaces with a suitable commercial product, soap and water, or a heavily diluted bleach solution. Always dry the surfaces after use to prevent mold from reappearing. Wash or wipe porous surfaces and check regularly to see if mold has returned, as it can infiltrate these materials.